Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

1. The Turbo Project, 96 SOHC X3 Accent/Excel
1.1 I have my copy of Maximum Boost plus articles from here and throughout the web on what I need to turbo the little X3.
1.2 I have most of my bits, IC (Which is going to require some serious cutting to the front bar to fit!!), RRFPR, manifold, injectors, BOV, turbo etc etc.. but I need some specific information on suitable engine management.
1.3 Is there a system that I should be using with a 7psi, non-decompressed setup? I'm looking for cost effective (not cheap) and reliable engine management... I hear Unichip being thown around here and there.
1.4 Are these systems a simple plug in fit that will at least allow me to turn the engine over so that it can be driven to the dyno tuner for specific tuning?
1.5 Apart from the Engine Management side of things, the project seems to be coming together well and I hope to bolt it all together in a month or so.

Any advice is received with appreciation.

Happy motoring 8D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Try the search and I think you'll find A LOT on what people use. A lot of people use Apexi's SAFC. I've seen it used on a '97 SOHC X3 in person and it works very well. It's not a simple plug in, but it's one of the best piggy back engine management devices short of going to stand alone. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dynasty,

Thanks heaps for the advice. Much appreciated... I'll have a search around for the Apexi SAFC and knowing that someone has seen it working in person is always an added bonus.

Take care.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Im currently running 10psi daily driver w/o any management. However I am going to get a safc v2 due to it being so cost effective.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Omgbossis21,
10psi without management... how well does it run?... is it drivable enough to run around on until the safc is installed? Any feedback on how it performs would be well received. From what you've said, the standard computer sounds like it is reasonably forgiving so far as running a bit of boost goes.

Well, thanks for the words, drive safe and take care.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Actually it runs great. Im even running a bov that vents to the atmosphere! I've been daily driving it for about 3 months with an open downpipe. It just took longer to get it tuned on boost with the rising rate by reading the spark plugs, getting an optimal burn and making it a bit richer to be safe. The Ecu does a pretty good job at controlling the timing as well. If you can afford it I would get some management as running rich down low does it a bit annoying, though it idles pretty well. Goes through plugs a bit quicker though....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great to hear... and while I will invest in a safc, at least I don't need to panic about the car not being able to start on the standard ECU.

May I ask what rate your RRFPR is ?? I'm seeing both 1:1 and 1:1.7 being used.

Sounds like you've got a pretty neat set up running there, and I can't wait to give mine a go. I'm not out to take on other cars, but I would like to power up the odd hill.

So safe and enjoyable driving, thank you.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have a 1:1 rising rate though wish I went with a 2:1. I have to run a high idle fuel pressure to get the right amount of pressure under boost. 50psi at idle to get the 60psi under boost I need.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts