Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
5,451 Posts
Originally posted by 02SF
[body]
I have used nothing other Mother's products. Using the 3 phase was system has always work well. 1st use the prewax cleaner, sealer and glaze, and the then the wax. . .I forget what exactly it is called. I always get a mirror like finished that is smooth. I use a power washer to remove and debris that handwashing won't remove. Being careful not to hit any pinstripping or chips(if they exist). I ussually use a wash mit I picked up from Pep Boys. If it ever falls on the groundm, throw it away, any dirt in the mit will call tiny scratches in the paint, those annoying swirl marks. I have found driving around the best way to dry the car.
[/body]
I agree. I have always used Mothers polishes and waxes on my own rides, and my customers' rides. And that's true about not letting the wash mitt hit the ground. I know so many people who ended up with small scratches in their paint due to small rocks and debris that got on their mitts when they left them on the ground.

As for drying, I use soft lint free terry towels/cloths to dry the car. That way, there are no water spots left to dry in the paint.

Everyone has their own way of washing/drying/waxing their cars. And everyone has their own products that they remain true to. Your best bet is to just get a couple of things, try them out on your car, and if you like the way the car looks afterwards, then stick with it. ;):

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
eagle one car wash soap, when I waxmothers cleaner wax, meguiars qwik detailer when i'm lazy, mothers clay bar and detailer when i'm realy bored, eagle one tire wet and interior shine, and the absorber chamois for drying.

Soap up, rinse and dry down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wash, chamois (absorber is the best in my opinion) then mothers clay bar, then mothers paste wax, and i put an exterior black trim cleaner on my car, cause then it makes it look even cleaner in my opinion, and then a glass cleaner called API.......that is the best product i found for cleaning glass.......and cleaning glass is a mother.....

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I use Mothers for the wheels, Meguiar's for the car.... but only about every other month. I usually just get a soft wash cloth and a hose and it cleans up easily. Do that at least once a week in my driveway real quick.
Use some Wet 'N Black (I believe that's it) on my tires... I love it, easy and doesn't drip, and doesn't go all over the car when I drive it 30 minutes later :bandit: that's always a good thing

question: My car never gets visible waterspots on it, and hardly ever 'looks' dirty... but my sideskirts are a different story... they always get water spots from driving in the rain and stuff, and it's always easy to tell they need to be cleaned... why is it different from the rest of my car? Because it's lower to the ground and picks up more crap? I wash/wax it just as much as the rest of my car... entire car was wetsanded and resprayed factory Alpine White in December... and 4 coats of clear were added

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ivory dish soap, a sponge, a hose.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Meguiar's everything, sponge, water obsorber. Car soap, tireshine, all purpous cleaner, bug and tar, wheel cleaner. Whatever you do dont use dish soap it may eat away your wax allways use soap made for cars.

Mothers back to black is great for black moldings and black mirrors. And any type of foaming window cleaner

[Edited by ThaSilvaL on Sep 10, 2003 6:02 PM]

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Eagle One Soap,Soft Nylon Bristle Brush on a stick, a empty Pickles Bucket,
and one badass pressure washer,

for the wheel's, I mix some soap with 1 part greased lightning,

Let it soak, and the powerwasher do the rest.

after I'm done, I Use an absorber, I use it to dry myself too.;):

·
Registered
17 Posts
Items:
Eagle 1 concentrate car wash liquid
Eagle 1 Dry-As-You-Wax
small wash cloth
Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner
Stoner More Shine Less Time Tire Cleaner
crumpled up newspaper
3 old shirts (cotton works best)
bucket

i dont wet my car from the beggining so i can see what i washed and what i didnt
wash the whole car down (except windows)
rinse off
wax
clean windows
last are tires

·
Registered
119 Posts
First I rinse the car down and try to pressurewash off whatever bird crap is on my car. Then some blue armorall car soap I picked up at Kraegen in a bucket w/ hot water. Giant foam sponge and some persistance to get the dirt off. Rinse again, dry the body w/ a chamois, do the wheels seperately and spray down the tires w/ foaming restorer/cleaner.

As for wax........um.........tried it once.......think I need a better wax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally use Auri Gold Polymer Auto Polish, used on BMW's off the assembly line, i also use Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Protectant Gel.

The Auri Car Wax leaves your car shine and its water repellant, just hose down your car with high pressure to remove dirt or mud and will still shine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I worked in several different carwashes, so I'll lead you guys out of some common mistakes.

Mistake #1 - Automatic carwash

Never. Ever. It damages your paint, and your car isn't detailed the way it should be.

Mistake #2 - Wax

No gains there. It damages the paint, and is hard to wash off next time you wash your car, meaning - you won't wash it good. Wax tries to match the effect of polishing, but it's just pretending to be a polisher without the real deal. Better polish it. Don't use wax. Although, many carwash shampoos already have wax in them. It's just a trick so they can say "we make your car more shiny than that other company product". Try to find a shampoo without any wax. Clean, polished paint is the perfect way to go. That's how the big boys do it. Wax is for suckers, and carwash workers will laugh behind your back if you request "a lot of wax".

Mistake #3 - C o ckpit

I don't use any of those c ockpit shiners. Why? Well, they make it slippery and it's all they do. Like, dust will not stay if the surface is slippery? Yeah, right. Clean the c ockpit and that's it. If you can find anti-static cleaner which doesn't make the surface slippery, use that one from here to eternity. And, for God's sake, don't use c ockpit shiner on the steering wheel. I've seen people do it. I have also seen some "hot shots" spray tons of c ockpit shiner directly on the plastic. OK, look. You pick up a hot girl. She puts her mobile phone or her purse on the c ockpit. It slips down because your c ockpit is slippery. No sex.

The right way to go

You need pressured water to clean all that grease and dust. Use it yourself if you have it, or if you can find some carwash that lets you use compressors (here we put in coins). Or even better, go to a hand carwash, and BEFORE the guys start, tell them you're paying 50% extra but want your car done perfectly. Hand carwashes are owned by ordinary people. They want to keep you as a customer. Therefore, they pay most attention. Go there.

Don't sponge bath your car before you make it wet. You'll damage the paint by rubbing particles of dust in it.

As I said, shampoo without any wax in it will give the best results. Put A LOT of it. For wheels and very dirty places, use some more abrasive thing. I used DF and Mafra, but that Aloe Vera shampoo works great also.

Wash it all off throroughly.

For drying I use deer skin, which actually does nothing except it splits the water drops into miniature drops, so there's no water stains. For perfect results, additionally wipe off the entire car with a soft cloth. Those microfiber cloths work best. If your car is black, your'e doomed, and you'll have to use a soft cloth every time (on a completely dry car) to make the water stains go away.

For tyres, use glycerine. You know, any of those products which makes the tyres black. It works on wet tyres best. So be fast, I personally put glycerine on the tyres before I start drying the car with deer skin or microfiber cloth. Be careful, don't get even close to the tyre surface which touches the road. Glycerine is slippery and it's almost impossible to wash off. The correct way to apply glycerine is to pour it in a cut-off plastic bottle, and use a brush to apply it to the tyres.

About the windows...I worked in several different hand carwashes, and each one had their own trick. All I know is - don't use newspapers. Yes, it makes your windows shiny and all, but that's because you spread led on them, and when the sun strikes your window you won't see a thing.

So I have come up with my own way for washing windows. I apply a LOT of some window cleaner, spread it with a sponge, wipe it off with that rubber thing, and additionaly clean the entire window with a soft cloth, using big pressure. Of course, it only works when your car is washed with pressured water, or else you'll just smear the grease on the window no matter how many times you wash it. They're not house windows. These ones are tricky.

Polishing

Just do it. :) Two times per year is perfectly OK, you'll never polish away the paint job. Auri was the best one I ever used, but others are all good also. Polishing is especially good for red colored cars. When the sun eats away your paint, just polish it and have a new car. There's also a trick...buy a car with ooooold red paint. You'll get it for few $. Polish it, you'll sell it for a lot of $.

Best weather

Direct sunlight is the worst. Any warm weather, actually. Room temperature is the best, and any cold weather, except the freezing temperatures. And, it's actually not such a bad idea to wash the car before the rain. Because, after the rain, all other cars will look like crap (and will need a wash), and yours will still be relatively shiny, and not affected by acid rain.

Later I'll post pics of my 17 year old car, after I wash it and polish it. So you'll see how does a professional wash his car and how does that look like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The guy above me is right. My mom worked in a carpool for say about 5 months. Even though I wax the car instead of polishing it... :eek: but yeah. But I have a relatively simple question... Clay Bars??? What do they actually do? You know, not just what they tell you... and what's it made out of... It REALLY looks like modeling clay to me.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
i wash my car the old skool way, good quality automobile grade car wash concentrate and a garden hose..

i also use a soft bristle brush with a mop handle and wash my car like the self serve car wash joints.

i use a separate foam sponge for the wheels..again, soap and water,

i wax the car whenever i feel like it, and i give it a few coat's of turtle wax express shine to keep it slick,

as for the interior, i use a slightly wet foam pad and use it to clean the dashboards and the console's full of soda spills and dust,

any stain on plastic is easy to get off with a lil water and a rag, no need for petrol-based cleaners..
i tried armor all on my dash and it's done nothing but stink up the interior and cause sun glare
i try to keep the matte finish on the interior instead of greasing it with protectant.

i also do something a few do to their cars..underbody cleaning,
i have access to a hydraulic lift and a power washer where i work

i get a bucket of soapy water and a brush with a mop handle and start scrubbing the underbody where all the dirt have accumulated,
my co-workers keep saying use the degreaser, i don't do it because degreaser can dry out the rubber bushings on my suspension,

I scrub and i wait about 30 seconds and blast it with the presure washer,
i'm careful to maintain a spray instead of just shotting the water at my underbody..

after i'm done..i let it dry and apply 2 or 3 can's of Undercoating, 1 coat every 15 min's..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Today I bought Sonax polish, man it's good!

My (red) car lost color during the summer, as it was in direct sunlight. The color became a bit dull and pink. I used several polishes, nothing gained.

Then I tried Sonax for red cars, the one with "nanotechnology" (yeah right, tiny robots renewing the paint), and polished the already polished areas. Shiny japanese red color appeared again...

The only bad thing about that Sonax polish is that it contains wax. Which means, leave your car in the sun = damage your paint. Wax keeps the body slick but burns in the paint if exposed to the sun.

BTW, Auri is probably the best polish I've seen.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts