Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Elantra GT 5 speed trans.
What grade gear oil does the manual suggest for freezing temp?

My manual is lost in the garage burried in a pile of boxes waiting to move into the new house.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I have the stock fluid (what ever weight it might be) from new and last winter when it got real cold, it was like driving with Oat meal in the gear box, I could feel it slow the car big time until it warmed up some!

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
also, put about 200 ml of ATF (yes, yes into a manual) on a tranny with good synchros. It acts sort of like lucas oil stabilizer,(or moly slip) binding to the gears.

If you have a worn tranny, put a bottle of teh same lucas oil stabilizer that you would put into your engine oil. 25% lucas, 75% SAE 75W90 is what I run in the beater pony (worn tranny)

·
Registered
168 Posts
The new fluid from Hyundai is synthetic it works much better then the old stuff. They had issues with the none synthetic stuff in cold weather. I wouldn't recomend ATF in your manual. If found in there and its still under warranty then it would void the warranty..

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Ya lol the non synthietic stuff (in really cold weather) keeps the gear in! like, ovrenight I park and leave the car in gear, then in the morning, I start up the car, take it out of gear, and release the clutch, and the car briefly moves in whatever direction the gear was put (I use 1, 2, or R)

I left it in 4 once and did the same thing and the car actually stalled!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
dont mean to hijack your post Red...but on my X3, do I remove the heat shield to get at the bolt to fill my tranny back up after draining the fluid? Webtech is very little help in determining how to do this...again, Red02, sorry to hijack,.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts