Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my 74 Fiat was a goner.. the more I got into the car, the worse the rust became. I do not mind some rust, but when you are talking about structural rust, I get nervous. So I started looking on ebay for a replacement.

And I found this:

It is a 1977 Fiat spider with approximatly 55,000 miles on her. While shown here in a field, it had spent the last fifteen years in a barn taking up space. Eventually, the farmer who owned the barn (It was his son's car) got tired of it and sold it to a scrap yard. The scrap yard then went out of business and the owner knew that the spider was in too good of shape to crush, so it went on ebay as a $300 "Parts car" with a NON-salvage title (it had never been transferred to the yard)

I got it for the full $300.

Right now it is sitting in my (stuffed) garage waiting for warmer weather. I have done a little to it, like cleaning out the trunk and the interior.. the more I get into the car, the nicer it seems..

some more shots:

(tib in background)

Trunk shots... dirty and clean.. note the stock trunk mounted battery

Interior and engine shots:

Yes, that is a real wood dash

And the engine that started it all. The Fiat Twin Cam Four.. this is a 132 series, not the 124. It is the first engine in a production car to have a timing belt.

And as it is now winter.. all I can really do is buy parts:

Alfa series 101 front turnsignals (A story onto themselves)

Porsche "Durant" mirrors

Porsche chrome windscreen washers (chrome instead of spindly black)

Fiat 131 Racing Transmission.. though I am going to sell this and get a Tremec t56

GlassFibre front fenders.. lighter and will never rust.

[Edited by Mad-Machine on Dec 17, 2005 11:41 AM]

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
dude, you're nuts ;):

Thats awesome though, good luck with your new projects.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
hehehe... that's crazy.

not my style, but definitely still cool. good luck with it all, and keep us posted 8D

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
i was in the junyard monday and saw a fiat just like that. it was in pretty bad shape though.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys... and I know I am nuts... The thing about this car... it has only a little bit of surface rust where the paint had gotten scratched over the years. If not for the nasty paint job, the rusted scratches, and a nasty dent in the top of the passenger side front fender... I could throw my old engine and interior into this car and drive her this spring..

I have NEVER had such a rust free spider.. and I have owned 4 before this.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep adding parts while I wait for the warm weather of spring to arrive. (is there anything more disheartening than working on a car in the cold of winter?)

This is the grill and lights from the Volkswagen Rabbit Cabriolet. While I will not be using the grill (save for the mounts) the driving lights will be going into the grill of my spider. Since I got my first spider back in 1989, I have wanted to stick lights in the grill opening, that space practically begs for it. Now I have the perfect lights to fit.

When placed against the stock grill, the lights have about a quarter inch of space between them and the chrome surround. Looks like my bet paid off!

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is absolutely awesome. My dad had a 1974 124 Fiat Spider and ever since I got into cars I've wanted one myself. As soon as I get out of school I'll have one :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts