Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sick of my stock shocks bottoming out whenever i have a full car load so its time to go for some aftermarket ones. Can anyone recomend some that will suit my Tib lowered 30mm?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tokico Illumina! I think they are awesome. I can drop 3 inches, slap on some rock hard 8kg springs, and still not have to worry about them blowing or underdamping.
My only beef with them is that the compression damping is too high for the rebound damping.
Adjustability is nice too. My piggish understeering Accent now has a slight oversteer balance and is all of a sudden 1000 times more fun to drive.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Originally posted by MadHatter
[body]
what application of the tokikos do you have?

[/body]
Running Front 1991-1999 MR2 inserts on all 4 corners. They are not struts, you have to modify your strut housings (same idea as koni, but not quite) to accept the inserts. I had a set of Tiburon struts, and looking at them, they also can be modified to accept Tokico inserts too. (and hence, can be used on the elantra) I wanted koni, but was DOUBLE the price of Illuminas! There are no affordable adjustable setups for Hyundais, so I had to make my own. You can do the same with KYB AGX, which can handle 10KG springs. (i.e. way stiffer than you should ever go)

Crool, if you are interested in doing the same kind of modification, then just ask and I'll give you all the details you need to get started on the project.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Originally posted by AccentAE86
[body]
[body]
what application of the tokikos do you have?

[/body]
You can do the same with KYB AGX, which can handle 10KG springs. (i.e. way stiffer than you should ever go)

[/body]
i had too soften my AGX's. stiffening all the way all the time is just brutal.

·
Registered
646 Posts
[body]
oic... i remember reading the post you made on that now....

why not just find a comparable weight vehicle and strut length and modify the lower portion of the strut to fit the spindle? i might do something pretty odd here soon because i really do not like the kybs anymore
[/body]
Well, that is good idea, but there is little chance your Hyundai springs will seat properly on another car's strut, let alone be at the right height on the strut body. You can always move your perches onto another strut and modify the spindle mount, but the welding heat will surely damage the damper. That is why I moved to the servicable insert design, which gives you a lot more flexibility.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This insert stuff sounds tricky.
Does the strut have to be modified itself like when you put coilover sleeves on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts