Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What shocks are out there that are koo with a 2 inch+ drop?

Yeah i have Ground control coilover (sleves) on my 97 tiburon, and in the market in purchasing some new shocks.

Would Gr-2 blow if i had my 2.25inch drop?
What about Agx?
Koni?
Others, im looking for possible others??

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
GR-2 shouldnt blow, ive got them on now for about 4 months, with no issue with my drop. Its about a 4inch in the front, and maybe 3 1/2 in the back. No issues. The stock struts blew out within the hour of haveing it down. Ive heard Koni's rock...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NICE!!!! im loving it, how does the coil and struts ride? bouncy? still roll? describe haha sorry for the itch questions, just trying to see how it is.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
She bounced like a mutha before i put the KYB's in there, but now its very tight, locked down. Like driving a porche. And there is zero body roll. Its amazing. Its like driving a flipping go-kart. Way awsome. ;):

[Edited by wilburisthecoolest on Mar 8, 2006 10:16 PM]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, i just need some shocks to replace my old stock ones. And i was askin aroudn to see if gr2's will blow out quickly. If i heard that they will, i would of went to my second choice and get konis.. 2 at a time but they are too expensive.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
yea, i was going to go with koni's at first, but i don't have $576.80 at the moment. I'm buying the KYB GR2's with the ingalls camber kit for just under $400 shipped, its around $365 i beleive, i had good experience with them before on a 1.6 drop on my old 95 civic, so i beleive they should be the same for my accent ;):

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey wilbur(sorry dont know your first name) I put 17s on my car Im only dropping back to stock, plans on body kit less than 3"s still running stock shocks, think Ill have a problem with bounce? I hope not cause this thing is costing me money everytime I get on this damn comp,,,lol....Im used to building hot rods out of regals and such this is my first import and Ill tell you what its hard to find (aftermarket) parts for this thing,,,96 elantra.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Its Nick, i dont think you should bounce too much, if your springs are stiff then yuo might have some bounce issues. If you have low profile tires you will bounce some bit too. My springs are 450 pounds in the front, and 350 in the rear. You cant push the nose down with your arms. Only the tires flex. Its kinda stiff.... So i bounce, but not like i did without the GR-2's. Id say spring for a set of GR-2's and you'll be happy, they are 10,000 times better than stock

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update again..

I have ground control coilovers with Gr-2's. They are set at the lowest possible setting for front and rears. It is about 2.25 inch front drop and around 1.75-2 inch rear drop (not too sure).

They are riding really smooth and nice. Body roll is much less than when i was rollin on stock struts and prokits. Not sure how different it is compared to prokits because i had them on stock struts. The car feel solid and like its one whole piece, hard to explain..

For those who are running on stock struts, i suggest you chekc them out and make sure they are not blown. When i pushed my shocks down it stayed in and didnt shoot back out.. That means they are busted. Gr-2 and stiffer than stock but not by much.

The ride is soo nice now, i cant believe i was running on stock struts all that time. my shiz was blown big time....

Random shot...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just so you know, in my experience the GR-2's wont last too terribly much longer than stock struts at those spring rates and drop. Keep the old stock strut housings and when the GR-2's start to go, give Koni a call.:devious:

Regardless, the car looks awesome!

[Edited by skierd on Mar 20, 2006 7:05 PM]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
yea koni's are amazing, also i read in skeird's post to cut the bump stops a LITTLE bit, NOT TOO MUCH or you will bottom out bad. i'm only going with B&G 1.6 drop for now and cutting the bumpstops as skeird instructed. Once i'm done with the B&G and KYB Gr-2 combo, i will see about the B&G 2 inch drop and koni combo. For me my most favorite thing to tune on a car is suspension. It's easy and makes you feel in control, i love it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
darn, i wish i had more of these comments before i bought the gr2s.. maybe konis was the way to go.. Damit .. oh wells.

Thanks for comments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts