Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to finish my car for the $2008 GRM Challenge and I'm new to the Hyundais so I'm wondering what all my options are for a '98 Accent? The most recommendations I've had are for the Ksport coilovers and a rear sway bar but I'm thinking coilovers will put me way out of budget. I'm interested in knowing whether struts/springs/swaybars from any other models/model years/even manufacturers will work with some fabrication. I'd love to do something like some konis/eibachs on the cheap and maybe a sway bar I can get at the local u-pull-it.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

PS>I promise to keep a build thread going as long as it doesn't suck. ;)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Don't be afraid to post this on the GRM forums too!

How much budget do you have left? The best you might be able to do is take a set of stock Tiburon struts (RD struts I *know* fit, GK's might fit and are the better choice as they are significantly stiffer than any other OE hyundai shock and should be cheap). Check junkyards, ebay, Newtiburon.com, etc. Then cut the spring perches off, and buy a set of ebay coilover sleeves to mount the springs, troll the Honda-tech RR-AX forum in the spring FS/FT thread for appropriate rates. The stock rates on the ksports is close, ~400# front and 300# rear. Even with the stock sway bar, rotation is pretty good. With those rates and the accent's snap oversteer you can probably be fine with the stock swaybar and save budget. Get alignment bolts too, I got as much as -2.1* of camber up front and the car desperately needs it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, thanks for the info! Now I just have to go find out what RK and FD and all that means. ;)
I haven't worked out the budget yet, I'm not sure if I'm going to do an engine swap, boost it or do suspension. I have around $950 left at this point after buying the car (bought it off my sister so I gave her a cool thousand) and miscellaneous bits. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
RD = 1997-2001 Tiburon
GK = 2003+ Tiburon

Start with a cheaper car, $1000 purchase price isn't going to leave you much room at all with something as low performance to start with as an accent.

Grassroots Motorsports Online

Check out the message board for Challenge ideas. I post under this screen name over there as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts