Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Accent and i was looking to buy some reliable, reasonably priced, good grip for turns Tires, anyone have suggestions? I'm in love with my hyundai now and i can' help but ask a lot of [email protected] I want to prove the friends i've grown up with wrong about my car, they all drive preludes, integras, crx's, and civics!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well what size of rims do you have?

·
Registered
737 Posts
depends on what you will be doing with the tires
if you live somewhere that sees snow i'd suggest 2 sets of wheels and tires, a summer set will get you most of the year and something you can drive on during the winter.

On my 2000 I have kumho spts which are a great mid level summer tire that i've autoxed on quite a bit and they have good grip. I don't think they make them in a smaller size than a 15" though. I also use the hankook rs2s which is a super grippy summer tire that won't last as long but is cheap and they offer it in a 14" size which is what I use for street/rain tires on my 99 x3. My personal favorites are my kumho v710 rcomps but I wouldn't suggest them to anyone unless they are planning to do some serious autoxing.

I love using the korean tires on my korean cars but there are plenty of other good tires out there for the money. The bfg gforce sport isn't a bad tire for the money, the yoko sdrive is about the same. If you want more grip the tried and true is the falken rt615 which is cheap and grippy but won't last as long as the tires mentioned above. The new hot tire in the street tire autox classes is the dunlop direzza z1 star spec but the most popular is still the brigestone reo1r, both are more expensive then the falken or hankook with the bridgestone being the most expensive.

I'm not a fan of all season tires, i'd rather have 2 sets of wheels with strictly summer tires and strictly winter tires. All seasons give up too much in either case, they provide decent grip during 3 months and are just so-so in light snow and ice. The high-performance all seasons are a joke too, the kumho asx has half-hearted grip during summer months and I wouldn't suggest trying them in snow too much either. I've also ran toyo proxes 4s in the past which were the same, they kind of scared me in the snow.

you have lots of decisions, do some research on tirerack it will help you in your final choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe i have 13" hubcaps, here's a pic

I live here In California, the winters arent too drastic we never get snow, it just gets a bit cold. I Don't really drag or race, I just want tires that'll grip Nice when i go canyon driving and take turns, also some tires that would help increase my gas milage if that's possible.

·
Registered
737 Posts
well your going to be looking for awhile for a good summer tire for the stock 13s. And tires won't make much difference in overall gas mileage unless you can find one without any rolling resistance(doesn't exist). Tire pressure makes a difference if your tires are super underinflated but other than that your sol on the mpg front.

tire rack sells the sumitomo htr 200 which is a summer tire and i've had friends use this tire in the past but its not that great of a summer tire and your still going to be using it in the stock size.

your best bet is to look for different wheels that allow a better choice of tires. even finding some stock accent gt wheels would allow you to run better tires. there are plenty of inexpensive wheels out there that will improve the looks and allow you to run wider grippier tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you want somthing for cornering/turns, go with the yokohama parada spec 2's, they grip any turn, and wont let you down-not a bad price either.
but you wont get many miles out of them though.

go to discount tire.com, type in your tire size, and find what you want, they have lots of reviews from ordinary people to help you decide.

·
Registered
134 Posts
2002 Accent GS 195/50/15

Hankook Ventus HRII 195/50/15

Needed traction for wet streets. Almost a year now with these inexpensive tires and am very happy with them.

2003 Ford Focus 205/50/16

Kumho Ecsta AST

Also a good & inexpensive tire that you can find everywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts