Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of Engine Oil should i use for my accnet 2000 which done about 80,000 the mineral oil seems to be burning more than expected

·
Registered
687 Posts
Honestly...

Oil is Oil is Oil... As long as you change it every 3k miles, it really doesn't affect much for a daily driver. Are you lookin for performance gains? You shouldn't be burning any oil even at 80k. Maybe you should find reasoning behind it?

Howie~

·
Registered
183 Posts
I personally just use regular oil no synthetic stuff won't make a difference in our cars. Yea if you're burning oil that much at 80k something else is wrong. You're head gasket might be cracked/leaking so keep an eye on it if it gets worse. If the head gasket is leaking oil thats a 900$ job.

·
Registered
499 Posts
How much oil is "Burning Oil" ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I Dont see any blue smoke even when i rev a bit harder after a few rounds in the town ( no smoke at all ) and im new to this car bought recently had a service about 2 months back recently when i chk the dip stick the oil level is at the low level, this is my problem.

and im livin in a tropical country the heat goes up to 80 - 90 and i heard the the Hyundai operates bit high in the temperature guage

burning about 1 Qts 1000 KMs

·
Registered
132 Posts
im not sure if i have the same problem or not. my oil light will sometimes flash around the low rpms. like flicker on for a sec for a bit and then be gone. any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Veritas said:
im not sure if i have the same problem or not. my oil light will sometimes flash around the low rpms. like flicker on for a sec for a bit and then be gone. any ideas?

Did you chk the OIL Level??

·
Registered
499 Posts
I you are driving in hot conditions I suggest that you use a 15W40 synthetic oil and see what happens. Mobile One will not thin out at high temperatures like normal oils. 1 quart/1000KM is very high consumption and if you don't have a leak then there is an engine problem. Look at the plugs and check if they have signs of burnt oil on them. You should see a very light tan deposit on the plugs if everything is OK.

·
Registered
737 Posts
your oil light flicker is caused by a bad sending unit. The part is like 7-8 bucks and you should be able to find it aftermarket. I just replaced it on my dad's 1.5 and it fixed the problem. It is pretty easy to get to on the front of the block.

For the oil consumption problem look for leaks first like the valve cover gasket which is a common problem on every lc model 1.5 i've seen. If you have no leaks then you might have bigger problems.

Most oil consumption is due to piston rings not sealing under compression or valve seals leaking. Usually this results in oil smoke so i'd check leaks first but in hot climates cars tend to go through oil pretty quick but a quart every thousand kilometers(a little over 600 miles) is pretty bad. Try using a thicker oil and see how it works out for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sanjayags said:
Did you chk the OIL Level??
the last time it did this i put in another bottle, and the oil level was fine after. i just checked it, and it was a little low. should i just put in another bottle? this obviously means i have a leak somewhere or something. because i did an oil change at the beginning of the summer when i got the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
is the crap around the bottle of my valve cover the leaking? this pic is from the start of the summer, and ive cleaned most of the engine bay since. but that part still looks the same.

·
Registered
183 Posts
sanjayags said:
and im livin in a tropical country the heat goes up to 80 - 90 and i heard the the Hyundai operates bit high in the temperature guage

burning about 1 Qts 1000 KMs
What do you mean the temp is up to 80-90? Is that 80-90% of the entire gauge if so that is high. as long as it's within the two little dots on your temp gauge your fine. but if it's 3/4 or higher most of the time then you have to worry. I would bring it in. not worth screwing with it. You prob have a bad head gasket or something.

This happened to my VW Golf and i had to replace the head gasket and because I was a moron and waited to long and my engine was running to hot it warped my pistons :( Thats when i bought the accent.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have used mobil 1 5w30 with a k&n oil filter in my 98 accent 1.5l sohc since the car had 30k miles on it and it now has 118k miles on it. i have recently purchased an 06 elentra for my wife picked up at 11 miles on the odometer took right to the shop filled up with mobil 1 5w30 and installed k&n oil filter now the elentra has 13k miles on it and have owned it for 1 year and 6 months

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rocconi said:
I you are driving in hot conditions I suggest that you use a 15W40 synthetic oil and see what happens. Mobile One will not thin out at high temperatures like normal oils. 1 quart/1000KM is very high consumption and if you don't have a leak then there is an engine problem. Look at the plugs and check if they have signs of burnt oil on them. You should see a very light tan deposit on the plugs if everything is OK.

OK will take the advice normaly synthetic doesnt burn like DYNO ha??

·
Registered
737 Posts
Veritas said:
is the crap around the bottle of my valve cover the leaking? this pic is from the start of the summer, and ive cleaned most of the engine bay since. but that part still looks the same.
yes your valve cover is leaking replace it

·
Registered
132 Posts
how do you replace it. i tried looking around on hmaservice. im guessing you just unbolt the old and put on the new? do you have to do anything once u have the old one off?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
liveD said:
What do you mean the temp is up to 80-90? Is that 80-90% of the entire gauge if so that is high. as long as it's within the two little dots on your temp gauge your fine. but if it's 3/4 or higher most of the time then you have to worry. I would bring it in. not worth screwing with it. You prob have a bad head gasket or something.

This happened to my VW Golf and i had to replace the head gasket and because I was a moron and waited to long and my engine was running to hot it warped my pistons :( Thats when i bought the accent.

80 90 means 80F 90F the temperature of the climate

·
Registered
332 Posts
Veritas said:
how do you replace it. i tried looking around on hmaservice. im guessing you just unbolt the old and put on the new? do you have to do anything once u have the old one off?
yes just unbolt it remove all lines clean all rtv gasket sealer from head replace gasket use alittle rtv sealer tighten down re do hoses

1 - 20 of 23 Posts