Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty new to this forum but i know a good deal about cars, but im not sure where the best place is to find a decent turbo for my 01 elantra, i dont feel like spending thousands of dollars on one, But does anyone know a website that sells a full kit for a decent price that is worth it, NOT JUST THE TURBO. I've looked at Sportcompactonly.com and im not sure if they sell theirs in the full kit or just turbo so wanted to ask around :p

Thanks!;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can have my Korean race team put together a bad-azz turbo kit for you that's 100% bolt on. Don't expect it to be cheap tho. We're talkin' $4000+, but your little Elantra could conceivably be spankin 350z's and G35's when you consider the weight-to-horsepower ratio! Actually, I just had them customize a 2.0L 97-99 Tiburon turbo setup for a customer in the Netherlands who dyno'd at ~365 whp. Cost him $4500 shipped to Europe--which is a bit more expensive than shipping to the US.

Oh and, you might also want to consider a supercharger setup. Though it'll cost you about the same as a turbo (or maybe a bit more), the install costs for a s/c is less AND there's virtually no maintenance at all. With a turbo, installation and tuning is much more intricate AND you have to carefully maintain it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
its A LOT cheaper to look around and get things separately.

ebay might not be a good idea for items that require quality, but if your planning on holding it at a LOW boost not much quality in required.
just dont get EBAY brand turbos or intercoolers they are known for blowing

craigslist.com is always a good place to check locally for a turbo deal.

usually when your done u realise you only spent like $1200 max

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your replies, yeah i was talking to my friend about putting a kit together piece by piece and talking about how cheaper it would be, but i got some time to still look/think...Thanks for the feedback though :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do you figure only spending 1200. I cant figure out how to tackle fuel spark management for the 02 1.6L. Prices start adding up really fast

·
Registered
502 Posts
one of the expensive parts for me would probably be the SAFC... just remember Im talking about low boost. not 10+ psi

some shops sell things at some pretty shocking prices u better believe I can get a turbo kit together with $1200 easy!

this is approximate prices I get things at
pipping + intercooler $150
manual boost controller + BOV $50
Turbo $100-200 (junk yard is your best friend)
oil/coolant lines $50
turbo manifold $300
Apexi AFC NEO $300
in total equals $1000
this excludes friendly hook ups

:p

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hadn't checked out the Apexi Neo, it looks like a good deal. Is it a 1 size fits all type of thing?

So, add a bit more boost and I need the injectors and a fuel pump as well, it still doesnt sound like a bad price. I guess I will have get started with this sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
502 Posts
the Apexi AFC Neo fits all yeah because it is manually wired.
Usually you find em on ebay for 300.
the SAFC II is also a healthy choice.

for my car I plan on getting the Neo, beta injectors, and a turbo MAP senor. I think that will do a turbo set up nicely.

·
Registered
150 Posts
its A LOT cheaper to look around and get things separately.

ebay might not be a good idea for items that require quality, but if your planning on holding it at a LOW boost not much quality in required.
just dont get EBAY brand turbos or intercoolers they are known for blowing

craigslist.com is always a good place to check locally for a turbo deal.

usually when your done u realise you only spent like $1200 max
I disagree, i've ran 3 eBay intercoolers and the quality ranged from awesome to good...and good only being because the finish on one wasn't very good.

I decided to test people saying the turbos blow by installing one properly, i researched oil feed and drain sizes because i feel alot of people have issues using too big of a feed, too small of a drain and vise versa. I ran my eBay turbo for a hard month of 16psi and sometimes 20psi. Shaft play afterwards was the same as when i pulled it from the box and no signs it's going to give up anytime soon. The only reason i'm not still driving it is because i blew the headgasket. :p

·
Registered
502 Posts
I understand you might be able to get alot for the ebay items if used correctly, but they don't exactly have a good reputation and i didn't want to start an argument. I'm glad to hear they stepped up the intercoolers tho.
I have had a bad experience with an ebay intercooler.
(part of the "professional welding" flew off)

if you look closely to what I said before all I said against ebay was that they dont ussually provide high quality with what they sell. sure they can work right if you work it right, but if you are looking for quality go to the name brands.
If u still disagree with the world on the quality of ebay items, I say buy some ebay quality harddrives and try to not let the computer crash or corrupt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't disagree that the quality is lacking compared to other products. Manifolds are thin, my wastegate doesn't open far enough and causes horrible boost creep, my BOV's diaphragm ripped...though so did my authentic GReddy. I don't think the quality is that bad, compared to the big names and the price difference, i expected alot worse as far as quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts