384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a preview of my turbo set-up

I built this using an old scoupe manifold

[Edited by XericRally on Feb 19, 2006 8:47 PM]

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nice work! But that's nothing surprsing from you. What turbo are you going to be using? I'm a bit behind the times...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
[body]Also, I've almost completed my turbo mount. It's so friggen' gheto, you got to see it.[/body]
hahahahaha i now know what you ment :lol:always up to somethin....

but after seeing your car i understand why your goin that route...:bandit:

we still need to make a intake for it i got a idea of how to set it up

and by the looks of the flange i think its a t3

[Edited by faithofadragon on Feb 20, 2006 6:40 AM]

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hey man.........that`s pure class!!.

Muchos props & `spect bro,
Nick.

[Edited by VALKYRIE YB70 on Feb 20, 2006 9:44 AM]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the T3/T4 I bought off "The Grim". Got it all lined up and welded on the flange this after noon.

[Edited by XericRally on Feb 20, 2006 5:01 PM]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
CB ive been tryin to get him to swap it for a while now
hell lots of people have

he wont do it:chinese:

·
Registered
842 Posts
: jaw drop :

what are the specs of that t3/t4? what kinda power or boost ya looking at (and when rpm)? any more supports for the turbo, worried about heat and weight?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
The filter comes out the hood right? ;):
[/body]
lol now that would be awesome!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Originally posted by punkroca
[body]
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
The filter comes out the hood right? ;):
[/body]
lol now that would be awesome!
[/body]
Yeah, put a little scoop over it, and bam. That would be shweet!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see problems with that setup. The oil is not going to drain properly out of the turbo and its going to smoke, a lot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not certain how much boost I will be running. I'm going to put a wastegate on to help manage it.
I'm shooting for 200 HP.
I'm pretty sure there is enough room to fit an intake w/ out cutting the hood, but if I have to, oh well.
It's a 1.5, and I'm willing to bet I'll blow it before I'm done

·
Registered
631 Posts
Originally posted by Mazdero
[body]
I see problems with that setup. The oil is not going to drain properly out of the turbo and its going to smoke, a lot.
[/body]
I'm working on getting the turbo back into my car, and I have a more conventional turbo placement. My turbo does sit very low, and has trouble draining the oil back to the pan, making tons of smoke. Today, my electric pump to pull oil out of the turbo arrives.

You'll have to do the same because of the sideways placement. Should be interesting if you can make it work though.

Here's the pump I got - http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TIL%2D40%2D524&N=115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
842 Posts
umm... just a quick question. if you are worried about smoking because oil is not making it all the way through the turbo, then what good would a pump on the turbo drain line be? in theory the oil would never make it to that pump anyway, right? otherwise you wouldn't have a problem in the first place?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I think they are reffering to the oil not draining down the return hose, since its gravity feed. That setup is freaking sweet!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Both of you are gonna have problems with oil drain, and a pump isnt gonna help.

I have a 60-1 in my Tib with no problems on fitment.

If you really need the space, then you could always get a half core radiator. That should give you at least 2" of space. Now I know you don't need that much.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Originally posted by JonGTR
[body]
Both of you are gonna have problems with oil drain, and a pump isnt gonna help.

I have a 60-1 in my Tib with no problems on fitment.

If you really need the space, then you could always get a half core radiator. That should give you at least 2" of space. Now I know you don't need that much.
[/body]
Why wouldn't the pump work? Many different setups run pumps to help the turbo drain the oil. Low mounted small block Chevy single turbo kits and Ford Focus turbo kits come to mind.

Just curious as to what experience you've had. And I should find out in just a few hours if a pump will work.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i'm not saying it definately won't work. to attempt to better explain myself, the issue you are worried about is oil burning in the turbo because it is not draining out properly (right?). well, if it is not draining out of the turbo properly, what good is a pump on the turbo drain line going to do? the oil is never going to make it to the pump anyway, otherwise you would not be faced with this problem in the first place.

this may not apply if the turbo is lower than the oil pan as long as the turbo is mounted drain line down... but in Xeric's case because the oil may sit in the turbo and gravity is not pulling it all the way through the turbo to the drain line (or to the pump in the drain line)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts