Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I have a question. I am buying a pre-owned Sonata. Now, here, in India, we have the I4 Sonata & the V6 Sonata. However i want to buy a manual transmission which does not come in the V6 vehicle.

So, what should i do? Buy a manual I4 & put a v6 engine or buy a V6 and put a manual transmission (from an I4)?

Thanks so much!:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
go for a tiburon if you want a performance car. The Sonata is heavy and not meant to be a race car. Also, there are very few parts readily available for the Sonata. You might also wait and get the new Genesis when it comes out. 300hp stock is a lot better than what the Sonata puts out stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
go for a tiburon if you want a performance car. The Sonata is heavy and not meant to be a race car. Also, there are very few parts readily available for the Sonata. You might also wait and get the new Genesis when it comes out. 300hp stock is a lot better than what the Sonata puts out stock.
I reside in India, so there is scant chance of a Tiburon ever making it to production. The Genesis will NEVER make it here. There is NO market for those high spec cars here. Hyundai does not have that kind of name here. People will rather buy a Honda because of the name.

But i know that once i get the V6 & put a manual box on it & a Sniper kit, i will be THE fastest sonata here!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The Sonata's V6 (3.3l in India too, right?) will more than likely snap the 2.0l's transmission. If you supercharge it I doubt you would even make a full pull before snapping it.

I would get the 6 speed M/T out of a new Eclipse or something since you'll be needing to use an adapter plate either way.

While you're in there I would replace the 3.3l V6 with a 3.8l V6. If you're feeling adventurous I would get the 3.8l V6 out of the Genesis when it comes out. 300+hp N/A in the front of your Sonata through a 6-speed gearbox would be bad ass.

The Sonata is a fine car. With suspension upgrades it handles fairly well too.

Potential between the two engine choices is truly yet to be seen. The 2.0l coming in the Genesis Coupe is supposedly able to handle 29psi on the stock block according to Hyundai engineers. It's almost identical to the 2.0l in the EVO X. Most of the go-fast tricks that work on the EVO X engine will also work on the Genesis Coupe engine. Hyundai's head design is different though so cams, valves, etc. probably won't interchange. The entire head might however.

Either way it should be possible to reliably get 450+whp out of either engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for the bad advise then. I didn't realize you were in India. I am useless in this thread then lol. I dont know what is out in India. I'm in the US

1 - 7 of 7 Posts