Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how about Hyundais On Whidbey Island (HOWI for short)?

So the idea has been kicked around for awhile. I know that weekend won't work for everyone, but realistically, no date will have 100% yesses. I've been told that at least 5 people are a go for this.

There is enough stuff to do on the island, it could be a two day event if we want it to be, or a one day drive-n-photo shoot. I figured that the "breathtaking waterfronts, lush forests, rolling fields, and quaint townes" would make a fun drive. It's kind of a different world on the island, a phenomenon that locals call "island time."

From the Alderwood Mall (NB exit 181B, follow Alderwood Mall Pkwy to Sears Parking lot. OR SB exit 181, go east on 196th St., left on Alderwood Mall Pkwy to Sears Parking Lot ) across the ferry, up Highway 20, back down I-5 would be about a 4.5-5 hour loop if we didn't stop. But it'd be fun to stop at a few places along the way. Some ideas would be:

Mukilteo Lighthouse & state park. We gotta stop here anyways while we wait to load the ferry. The Diamond Knot Brewery is across the street if you want a micro-brew, and a meal served on a sizzling slab of granite.

Greenbank Farm - Wine tasting, poetry reading, rhododendron and daffodil gardens.

Fort Casey - bring picnic supplies, and wind jacket. A kite/frisbee/football might be fun, and if you're adventurous: a flashlight and change of shoes/socks for exploring the bunkers

Fort Ebey State Park - Doesn't have as much parking, trails, or firepits as deception pass. When I've been there, it was blustery, but secluded.

Not far away from there is Oak Harbor. The town supports a Naval Air Base (or maybe it's the other way around;)), a drive in theatre, go karts, an observatory, and is the county seat. So it's almost big enough to be a "real town.":D

Deception Pass - (careful where you swim, treacherous waters in the pass.) But Cranberry Lake, showers and campsites at the state park right next to it. There are miles of beach, trails, cliffs, a large parking lot, over 300 picnic tables, etc. In my opinion, those that never get to the Island MUST stop here. If we make a multi-day trip, this is an awesome place to see a sunset.

Rosario Beach - they host retreats here fairly often as the rugged shoreline makes quite a backdrop. It's located just across Deception Pass from the state park. It is a marine research facility owned by Walla Walla University, I believe.

La Conner - April is the month of the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. Plenty to see between Mount Vernon and here.

From La Conner, it's roughly a 30 mile drive back to Alderwood.

So I'm not sure who'd be interested in which stops, but speak up, and let's make some plans for what stops we want to hit, roughly what time of day to be there, etc. Or, if you know of other things that might be of interest, let us know. I think this is the first meet we've had this far north in WA, and it'd be a great way rev up for the summer. POOR PUN ALERT.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Ok, I am in. One day or two works for us.

I want to avoid the tulip festival at all costs. Not only would I light on fire for simply attending anything called a tulip festival but I've seen what that does to traffic on I-5 and I would assume that it doesn't get any better the closer you get. I went to their stupid website but I was unable to determine if there's a special event on the days we're going since they have dozens of events listed every single day so I don't know how to avoid anything.

Things we're interested in doing in order of our interest to see/do things:
Deception Pass
Diamond Knot Brewery/Mukilteo Lighthouse
Fort Casey
Rosario Beach
Go Carts in Oak Harbor maybe?

Things we'll tag along for if others want to go:
Fort Ebey
Greenbank Farm

Things we don't want to do unless absolutely necessary:
Tulip Festival

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
yeah.. i think that everyone from the south end should meet at our place and we should all roll up together!! We all need to remember our radios too!!!

The only radio i have is in my car.....:):)

I might be able to roll.... I have to see if the wife or kids have any events that weekend..

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So right now it looks like:

Yesses (or Yes's or Yesi, what is the plural for yes?:rolleyes:)
Sharkrocket x 2
187sks
TheDonsWife
Wilburisthecoolest
Ratjack2k5 x 2
busy_squirrel x 2

With maybes of:
jsharptooth91 x 1-4
06SharkGT

And prob. not of:
sephlar
raven1105

So what time would you southerners be getting up to Snohomish County? That'll tell us where we should meet, and, of course, when.:)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
So where we want to meet down south people? And when? I would like to leave the Olympia area by around 9:00, then pick up Wilbur at Krispy Kreme's in Tacoma.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mmmmmmm.. doughnuts!!! we usally bring two-way radios they are easier and more intertaining that cell phones. we have an extra one and i know sharkrocket has one or two extras.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Don't think we'll make it, but we'll see on friday....

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if we do gokarts, they would be here.
They also have group rates, if at least 6 people wanna do that.

If you guys leave Tacoma @ 9, that'd put you @ Alderwood around 10, and Diamond Knot/Lighthouse @ 10:20. Diamond Knot doesn't open until 11, and the lighthouse gift shop doesn't open until noon. Would you guys like to meet us northerners further up north between 10 and 11?

So if you left Tacoma @ 9 and came further north, you'd be at the exit 215 Park-n-Ride (where Ratjack2k5 wanted to meet) @ 10:30 or so, then have a 1/2 hour drive south to Diamond Knot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts