Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today my boyfriend got a new car, a BMW 330i. He is a BMW enthusiast and salivates over them constantly. that got me to wondering, why did you all choose hyundais? is it the quality, price, or style?

me personally, i had no other choice. this is the third hyundai sonata in my family and my dad chose it for me because it has treated him well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The rear subframe ripping out is enough for me to go hyundai over a BMW (on e36 and e46 body styles). lol.

I didn't buy a hyundai yet, but I do plan to soon. It will be for quality, style, and price. The problem with Hyundai is they are shooting for a market that isn't ready to accept hyundai yet. I remember (back in the day) that msrp on a loaded tibby was 13K. Good luck finding that now. People who normally drive a BMW or merc drive it for the status symbol..... hyundai does not fill that void yet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Originally,
I bought it for the price. It is my first and last new car. As it turns out I really like my accent. took some bolt-on mods to get it where I like it, but most cars need some mods for me to like them. I don't think I've ever owned a "stock" car. Hopefully never will.
My dad is in his fifties and still does some serious modification to anything he drives. His next project car soon to be a daily driver is a 1998 neon with srt4 inards; motor&tranny, interior, suspension, and possibly a front end conversion. for a daily driver car! :)

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
With the current fuel prices, the GETZ has been rated at the most economical car you can currently buy here in Australia. That should be enough to convince you. If it doesn't, how about nothing takes a hit like a Hyundai? I've been in a couple when impact occurred(my mom's Tucson and Sonata) Barely felt a thing and body damage to our car was completely repairable.

The other vehicles incurred at least twice the cost in repairs. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my dad took safety as a big measure in choosing a car for me, and he liked the sonata cause it is heavy (at least compared to the cars i wanted). my dad drives between work and our house every weekend and round trip it is 6 hours. so he has spent a lot of time in that sonata! the funny thing is he didnt need to replace his brake pads until he had over 150k miles on it.
on the other hand, my sonata (08 v6 engine) doesnt get that good gas mileage. (19 city? crazy). and it sucks cause of the prices going up continuously.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lotsa reasons...and some reservations at first

For my wife and me, it was price at first. We were skeptical because she'd owned an early 90s model...when the tranny went out at 80,000 miles she had to get another one.
We bought an 02 Elantra after owning a POS Geo Prizm. That car (the Elantra) gave us 140,000 miles of damn near trouble free service, save for a failed sensor that was replaced under warranty at no cost to us.
We traded that one in on an 07 Elantra...all the bells and whistles included, got a great price and we're loving driving it.
Price was a big factor, but we checked the Consumer Reports and found that, of the cars we wanted - it was the one we could probably best afford - and having been previous Hyundai owners helped a great deal.
Safety was also huge. I have two growing boys and having airbags everywhere is very comforting, as are the ABS brakes.
Then there's the comfort factor. I found my Hyundai to be more than spacious on our recent 1600 mile round trip jaunt to Colorado and back. Room enough for the kids, all their electronics, toys and pillows and everything else needed to have fun on a trip. My wife was a comfortable passenger too. I wished for more supportive seats and lumbar supports like my 02 had but I made due the best I could.

Oh, and as we discovered on our most recent trip to Colorado - my Hyundai goes 354 miles on 8.9 gallons of gas. I couldn't believe it..because around town I get less than that out of a whole friggin' tank.

I quite enjoy my Elantra.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a 93 geo prizm and it through a rod and knocked a hole in the block. I was tryin to move out of my parents house and i needed a car with a good warranty plus i had two jobs at the time. I bought a 2000 elantra in dec 99 and i been in luv with it ever since.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
When I bought my Hyundai, it was to replace an 85 Audi 5000 that I absolutely loved (hated getting rid of it).. but I would have had to put 3 grand into it to make the car reliable again.

For me it was a combination of price and warranty. Brand new car for 10K and not have to pay to fix a damn thing for a few years? Easy math.

What has grown on me after owning one is quality... The majority of things I've had to replace would need to be replaced on most cars with the mileage that I have... (almost 200,000 miles in 7 years).

Out of the 6 dealerships that my fiance (she has a Santa Fe) and I have had to deal with, there is only 1 that we wouldn't go back to. The 5 that remain were helpful and have not tried to dick us over.

Finally, Hyundai MC backs their vehicles... I had a catalytic converter issue (I'm on my third one) that could have gotten ugly. 1rst one was replaced under warranty, the 2nd replacement I had to pay for, but I contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs and they reimbursed me for half of the costs .

Things to my liking with Hyundai while I wait to purchase my next one:
*Safety has vastly improved
*Still competively priced against other car companies

Stuff I don't like:
*No diesel/hybrid for the US yet (they seem to be playing a "wait-and-see" game)
*Handling still appears to be "soft" (I grew up driving Saabs and Audi's... I've installed strut bars to both my car and my fiance's Santy... the suspension on rentals of newer hyundais still seem spongy to me).
*I'm not a big fan of the drive-by-wire technology... seems too prone to issues.

The thing with me is that I don't buy a new car every few years... I drive them until the wheels fall off so I don't care about resale value (why anybody does is beyond my comprehension... why invest in something that depreciates as soon as you take possession?)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I looked at Hyundai for the price and warranty. That's what got me into the dealership to take a test drive. I was thinking about a $6995 base model Accent at the time. We test drove one and we were fairly impressed considering that I didn't have high expectations. We test drove an Accent GT and it was enough of an improvement that we went for it despite the $3500 penalty.

Since buying it I've truly been impressed with the quality. I've been left stranded twice, once was entirely my fault (for hiring a shoddy electronics installer) and the second time I used Hyundai roadside assistance and the total repair bill was $92. The roadside assistance is nice because it's unlimited miles. I was over 100k in less than 5 years but was still able to get towed to the dealer. I break cars, that's just what I do. I've broken 5 vehicles beyond the point of being driveable since buying the Accent. The only thing I've bought since then that I haven't broken yet is our 05 Tiburon SE.

Compared to other cars my only complaint is that it's expensive to mod them. They respond very well and they are quicker than many cars which are similar but cost twice as much. I disagree about the handling issue, in my opinion they don't inspire a lot of confidence but if you push them and put up with the body roll they'll do a good job of keeping you on the road. Our Tib SE actually came with reasonably stiff suspension compared to the competition.

For the price of a new base BMW 328i you can buy a new base Tiburon and a Sonata. For the price of a loaded 335i convertible you can get a new base Tiburon, Elantra, Sonata, Accent, and Tucson. Or you can just buy a fully loaded Tiburon and spend the other $48,000 on mods and get a thousand times more attention than a stock 335i convertible. I'm not saying BMW's are bad, I would love to buy an e36 or e46 M3 and plan to before too awfully long. I just can't justify their cost when new. My main reason to buy a new car is reliability issues. I can buy a used BMW and a brand new Accent at the same time and save money and I have the Accent to drive if the BMW has an issue or if I'm just getting from point A to point B.

The depreciation issue is propaganda. You tell me how my Accent has ripped me off for depreciation.

Price new: $10,500
KBB value now: $4500
Sure, that's 57% depreciation, but I've only lost $6000 in 120,000 miles and 5 years. Try to meet that with anything else.

A 2003 BMW 330Cic convertible:
Price new: $42,900
KBB value now: $16,115
62% depreciation and $26,785 lost. That BMW owner lost $20,000 more than me in that time. To some people it may be worth it and that's perfectly fine. To me it's not. I get frustrated when people talk depreciation and use percentages though. Hyundai has some of the best values regarding depreciation when you consider the actual amount of money lost.

Not to be combative or anything, it's just been one of those days. I don't mean anything bad. :)
That's assuming private party value and same mileage and condition as my Accent.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I don't think it's combative at all.. but if you take depreciation purely out of the equation (using my time of ownership):

10500$ over 7 years is $1500 per year.

42900$ over 7 years is $6128 per year.

Even if the Beemer didn't have a single thing go wrong with it in that time, I'm still way ahead even with the repairs I had to do for the Hyundai.

I had my Audi for 7 years and paid $3000 for it used... averaged about $1500/year in maintenance (75% done by myself with used parts... lost time sucks)... about 1928$ per year... roughly the same as my Accent when you throw in stuff I had to fix, but much more hassle.

If you look at it in just purchase price of the car, you're $32900 poorer...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hyundai is not a bad buy, great car for cheap and good warranty. The people that talk **** about cheaps car and buys BMWs and Mercedes are the same people that have a big ego. There are others that just buys them because they can afford it and its only like ~10% of their net worth.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
MPG, $, warranty.

And I was told if I wanted a new car, that was it. LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just bought it to save gas, but the day i've turned into a sports compact car enthusiast. i've hated this car so much that i was going through a big phase and after that i did hard research to get that car to go fast due to my lack of funds for real sports car. it blew me away when i found the capabilities about this car. I had a fulltime job just not credit history to get me an evo, but the closest was my hyundai at that time. it may not be DSM, but Hyundai is a DSM in my dictionary. i was like think about it. the engine are mostly based off of the DSM engines. Sonata was similar to the galant and the accent was similar to the mirage and the tib and the elantra was similar to the lancer and the evo. afterwards for a few years i've ended up with my old hyundai again. loved it more than before, but just didn't like it because it lacked CA street legal power and performance like the rest. Currently my lexus sc300 is breaking down on me and i'm getting ready to bring my X3 sedan back to life and plan for the 2.0 swap or anything to get me more power like a highend supercharger.. i'm still trying to make this car go faster even if it means a 2.0L swap with a mid engine conversion with supercharged or turbo set-up. whatever takes for me to make this X3 the fastest on the straights, high speed,corners, time trials. Other than speed and performance i love the car for it's price and MPG.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yep I bought my 2006 hyundai accent to get to my new job 50 km away. It was a good deal at 0% interest and good on gas. I didn't expect to like it but i kinda grew on me. As I started to mod the parts of the car that lacked in performance i liked it more and more.

To Mcentral it's not a bad thing to have a big Ego maybe you just have a low self esteem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am getting a hyundai soon. hyundais are good cars, they cost less than a honda or other japanesse cars, their parts are cheap and they are ganning popularity for tunning in the US. i would chooce a Hyundai 100times more than BMW.:)

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
1:price..$2995 for a lc with 25k miles
2:fuel economy
3:my first car and with a 5-speed
4:beta swap
5:to hold my own against honda's
6:response to handling modifications!!could keep up with a evo on a winding road

·
Registered
4 Posts
I looked at Hyundai for the price and warranty. That's what got me into the dealership to take a test drive. I was thinking about a $6995 base model Accent at the time. We test drove one and we were fairly impressed considering that I didn't have high expectations. We test drove an Accent GT and it was enough of an improvement that we went for it despite the $3500 penalty.

Since buying it I've truly been impressed with the quality. I've been left stranded twice, once was entirely my fault (for hiring a shoddy electronics installer) and the second time I used Hyundai roadside assistance and the total repair bill was $92. The roadside assistance is nice because it's unlimited miles. I was over 100k in less than 5 years but was still able to get towed to the dealer. I break cars, that's just what I do. I've broken 5 vehicles beyond the point of being driveable since buying the Accent. The only thing I've bought since then that I haven't broken yet is our 05 Tiburon SE.

Compared to other cars my only complaint is that it's expensive to mod them. They respond very well and they are quicker than many cars which are similar but cost twice as much. I disagree about the handling issue, in my opinion they don't inspire a lot of confidence but if you push them and put up with the body roll they'll do a good job of keeping you on the road. Our Tib SE actually came with reasonably stiff suspension compared to the competition.

For the price of a new base BMW 328i you can buy a new base Tiburon and a Sonata. For the price of a loaded 335i convertible you can get a new base Tiburon, Elantra, Sonata, Accent, and Tucson. Or you can just buy a fully loaded Tiburon and spend the other $48,000 on mods and get a thousand times more attention than a stock 335i convertible. I'm not saying BMW's are bad, I would love to buy an e36 or e46 M3 and plan to before too awfully long. I just can't justify their cost when new. My main reason to buy a new car is reliability issues. I can buy a used BMW and a brand new Accent at the same time and save money and I have the Accent to drive if the BMW has an issue or if I'm just getting from point A to point B.

The depreciation issue is propaganda. You tell me how my Accent has ripped me off for depreciation.

Price new: $10,500
KBB value now: $4500
Sure, that's 57% depreciation, but I've only lost $6000 in 120,000 miles and 5 years. Try to meet that with anything else.

A 2003 BMW 330Cic convertible:
Price new: $42,900
KBB value now: $16,115
62% depreciation and $26,785 lost. That BMW owner lost $20,000 more than me in that time. To some people it may be worth it and that's perfectly fine. To me it's not. I get frustrated when people talk depreciation and use percentages though. Hyundai has some of the best values regarding depreciation when you consider the actual amount of money lost.

Not to be combative or anything, it's just been one of those days. I don't mean anything bad. :)
That's assuming private party value and same mileage and condition as my Accent.
Great information shared by you.It will really helps every member who are willing to buy Hundai's... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts