Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had 1st and 2nd gear in my car replaced under warrenty at the dealer. I've noticed a few times already that labour seems to the cheap and so do most of the services. I'm a mechanic by trade and usually do all the work on my cars myself.

Today I was picking up my car after a week of driving an 07 MC loaner. While looking at the prices again I decided to actually let the dealer start servicing my car. Example- an oil change is 25.95 at Hyundai and they use semi synthetic oil which is ok. Now for me to do an oil change i would have to buy the OEM filter for 9$ and the oil another 20$. It's just not worth the hassle to get the "satisfaction" of DIY... perhaps if you work on cars occasionally. Lets move on a coolant change at the dealer is 49.95$ and this is what sold me. For 50$ it's just not worth it..

Oh yeah and the timing belt change is 226$.. my cost on parts is nearly 160$ so off to the dealer for that as well.

For Normal servicing the dealer seems to be the place to go.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
yeah.you got me there..cost to benefit ratio trumps our precious DIY Status Quo.

i started taking my family vehicles to jiffy lube,

Oil..$24
Filter..$3
Gas burned to dirve to gte these supplies..$8

total:$35

Jiffy Lube Basic Oil change:$29
Gas consumed to drive there..barely $3..only a 7 min drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i dont know the dealer prices here, but since im not a mechanic by trade working on my car is fun for me... thats why im not a mechanic by trade, i don't want to ruin my fun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
well me i am a mechanic at an auto mall with about 20 different dealerships incluiding hyundai but since i get discounts on parts and services if need be i would rather do the job myself because first thing the more i do to my own car the more i learn about my own car second if i screw it up i can blame my self and know where the problem is if someone else f$%^s it up[ then either i have to ship it back over their and hope they did not screw something up that they should not have and have to pay them more money for their mistake and the third is if thier is a leak or other problem i see it first hand and dont have to hope that they are not screwing me

so with that all said i pay less if not the same as a customer would with the satisfaction that i did it my self and i know what is wrong with my car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts