Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fit on a 1.8 Liter Tiburon? It is an alternator that is damn cheap that i'm about to buy, but it says its for a 2.0 Liter Tiburon. Any problems? I couldn't see why there would be. The headlights of my car are dimming slightly and get brighter when I accelerate, im pretty sure that my sound system finally did some damage.

·
Registered
464 Posts
go get the charging system tested first. You may need a battery instead. And a capacitor for the audio, if you aren't going to get a big-time current upgrade with your new alternator.

You can't go wrong with a new Optima, by the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theres a brand new optima red top battery already hooked up. i just need to upgrade the big 3, get money to buy thick enough wire to hook up my cap. but that still dosent explain why my lights get bright and dim in conjunction w/ the gas pedal! this like, just started,

·
Registered
502 Posts
i wont be suprized if it is too little voltage comming from the alternator. i have and underdrive pulley and it alters the speed at wich the belt turns the alternator. small pulley means lighter, lighter means easyer to turn, easer to turn means less drag on the engine. but at low rpms i see my lights dim a lot most cars even with a voltage regulator can help the fact that the alternator dosnt put out enough at idle.

u can do many things to stop it tho
bigger alternator
rewirring
rewinding alternator
bigger pulley
ans so on and so forth

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ very cool ^^
this means that a 2.0 alternator is the same as a 1.8 alternator then. the main reason alternators go out has more to do with the pulley system on the alternator itself. the internals of an alternator get damaged from producing power nonstop, like the commutator or brushinga inside, I would buy a new ALT instead of rewinding one.

Heres a good question. Does an alternator get rest during high RPMs? The volts and amperage that an alternator spits out is proportional to what the battery needs no? If the belt is not moving, the car is idling, the belt is still moving just alot slower. if a battery is fully charged, where does the rest of the energy the alternator produces go?

What is voltage regulation? The battery/alternator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts