Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf had her transmission flushed by a privately owned shop and they put dextron fluid in instead of SPIII. Her car never had problems before and began to have transmission problems 3 months later. We are battling with the owner now who admits he put in the wrong fluid, but said it wouldn't matter. We've had it taken apart by a national company (but which we now know he is friends with the local workers) who tell us that the metal bushings are going out and the problem has nothing to do with him putting in the wrong fluid. Please let me know your input on the situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Get a lawyer and find some other national car company. Good luck

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I would write the national car company corporate headquarters and explain your situation. The private shop owes you a transmission.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The wrong tranny fluid was put in the unit. The national tranny company DOES NOT know what Hyundai uses inside the unit (plastic, rubber and glass). There is no way they can rebuild it either because the rebuild kits are not available. Hyundai does not allow dealers to rebuild them either; the tranny must be sent to Hyundai Motor Corp to be inspected and remanufactured.

Get the car to a dealer with the transmission and have the shop that flushed it pay for a replacement. These units are designed to last over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by Tugger5000
[body]
Long time no see Colin... WB.
[/body]
I've been aroud, but real busy at my shop. I usually don't go to the shop when school is in session because I'm teaching, but this year has been a killer. With 15 cars a day at the shop, I HAVE to come in to help out.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I emailed polo 2 TSB's regarding the fluid. The second one specifies Dexron and other fluids WILL damage the trans.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had mine serviced at 30k mi. and they used a diamond fluid with another mixture to modify it so it would work, very strange, no I flush it myself with the real hyundai fluid...

·
Registered
737 Posts
never used hyundai tran fluid before
flushed mine myself 3 times using my shops bg flush machine with no problems
I use our basic trans fluid with bg conditioner
my shop uses the same trans fluid and if required we use a bg conditioner which works as an additive

since i've been an employee at the shop for six months now(been doing my sidework at the shop for a couple of years) i've never seen a car come back for trans problems because of a flush with the wrong fluids

i've seen cars that had never had the transmission serviced before(high mileage cases) that have blown seals from rot but never had one return from using our trans fluid

I have 83,000 miles on mine with zero transmission problems and have done 40 or so flushes myself to other makes and models including hyundais with zero returns.

If the shop is a franchise take it up with the franchises district manager if applicable they have insurance and will take it up with insurance. If they admit it was their fault then you will have a good chance. If they don't take blame for it you might have a tough time. There are other routes but they will take forever. If the car had never had the transmission flushed before and had above 75,000 miles on it your case won't have a good chance. Most places recommend the service every 30,000 miles, I do and some cars I recommend every 20,000 like most toyotas. They might cry negilgence.

anyway good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts