Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so heres what happened. I was sitting at a light and went to take off like normal and midway through clutch release something in the tranny clutch went thunk and then it felt like i had a flat tire (massive drag). After that the clutch grabs at the bottom of the pedal with a grab I cant believe. My clutch has always been soft and weak, all the sudden its not???? The clutch is somewhat beefier than the stock clutch and has at most 20,000 miles on it. The pedal has always been weak and extremely sloppy even with the clutch spring mod and beefier clutch. Im worried that it grabs so hard now, what would cause something like this? My dad said maybe something was misaligned and is now aligned or perhaps a piece of the clutch broke off. He said to turn the car off and press and release the clutch to listen for new noises. Well the car has always Squeaked like a old screen door when you press the clutch and it dont make no noise at all anymore. Did the car just do me a favor or is my clutch going to take a dump real soon?

·
Registered
79 Posts
this might not have anything to do with what you are experiencing. when i did the spring mod, I didn't re-attach the hard fluid line correctly so every time I pressed the pedal in, the lever that moves the thorw-out bearing was rubbing the line. sorry for not having the correct terminology. anyway, after a couple days it rubbed a hole in the line. so every time I pressed in the clutch, fluid would squirt out of the line. obviously this was a bad thing, but my clutch had never felt as good as it did after the leak. of course i had to replace the line, but I still miss how good it felt. if you haven't already done so, have someone press in the pedal and see it there is a leak. worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fluid is still full and I did the clutch mod a long time ago. I checked but dont see no leaks and if it was leaking it definitely would not be biting as hard as it is. I dunno what happened, it feels nice but scares the hell outta me b/c it never grabbed. Anyone with a x3 , how does the clutch feel? Mines always been weak and not grabbed. How about yours?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I took it for a drive last night and today to see how it felt. I adjusted the pedal free play to see if I could get the clutch from being at the bottom of the pedal and the pedal is all the way out now. It shifts fine, the front end feels stiffer though??? The clutch is still grabbing really hard, chirps the tires really easy on launch .... Shifting the car hard it feels like I put a new super clutch in or something. I have no idea what happened though....

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
is it an aftermarket clutch? maybe your sprung disk broke a spring or something and its stuck and now its acting unsprung... i dunno man if its grabbing ok then thats good. theres no fluid leaks or anything right? one time i broke something in the tranny and it lodged in the diff and busted a hole right in the casing, it even broke the pressure plate. at the time it sucked but when i think back about it it was pretty cool. well, except for the broken clutch and no tranny fluid and having to replace a transmissoin out of pocket because the dealer wouldnt warranty it at 38,000 miles. aside from all that it was cool. :duh:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah no leaks, I dont know about grabbing okay.... It grabs super hard from the bottom of the pedal! I talked to my Dad about it and he said it sounds like one of the forks that the slave cylinder actuates on a ball (or something) has broke and now its grabbing to hard. He said the slave cylinder could of been pushing at a small angle working the spring to hard, which then reminded me how my slave cylinder is ghetto rigged b/c of the turbo chargepipe that hit it during install :dead: So he said he will help me fix it and do something with the slave cylinder so its not so rigged. This sounds like it could be the problem, he said first pull the dust cover off and look inside to see what I see and make sure the pressure plate (forks?) are pointing the right way. I dont know alot about the workings of it but we're going to do some inspections....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts