Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased parts of an X3 kit from ebay, the side skirts and front lip (Talon style) for 50 bucks. they are in really good condition and i am going to graft them to my 04' Accent.

i was a little skeptical about them fitting, (due to the fact it's desgined for another car!) but the price was just insane to miss. Believe it or not the skirts are just 10mm short to fit but run flush with the curves of the vehicle, so a little modification will be required to lengthen them.

the front lip fits in length but isn't flush with the bumper (which i expected) but again a little modification and it will fit. i'm thinking cutting a section out of the middle, for two individual lips wrapping the corners but separated in the middle below the number plate.

will keep updated on how it goes, opinions and helpful tips please. :)

[Edited by Medic_01 on Feb 20, 2006 3:55 PM]

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Ya seriously post some pics of that im interested in making my front end look more agressive. If the lip fits let me know how you did it. Hmmmmmmmm black lips on the silver GT thatll be hot!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is the kit, as is with a mild sanding. just the side skirts.
not a bad fit considering it's for a different car.

and here is the 10mm gap. a little chopping and re-fibreglassing will be required.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and the other part of the project. the X3 front lip. as seen in the pics, it dosen't match up, so there will be a little chopping and sanding and fibreglassing to do. note the mesh grill with the hyundai badge.

my girl in the pics.

see where it dosent match up, there will be some cutting here.

hope it works. ideas please.:)

[Edited by Medic_01 on Feb 11, 2006 2:44 AM]

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, this is what i have done so far. not much as i havent had any spare time from work. i will eventually take time off to get some of my projects completed.

i have cut the skirt at one end to show the gap it makes. now i have to re-fibreglass the missing section and sand it all down again. i am thinking of putting some thin dowell rods or a flat strip of metal across the gap to add extra strength and a support for the fibreglass to bond on. this i hope will prevent the fibreglass from drying with curves or bowes in it.
maybe even cardboard cut to size to follow the inside curves of the skirt....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your best bet with that gap would be to use some mesh, like that used in front bumpers, bend that to shape and firbre glass over it, will really strengthen the fibre glass and make a good join.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by iamabilly
[body]
Your best bet with that gap would be to use some mesh, like that used in front bumpers, bend that to shape and firbre glass over it, will really strengthen the fibre glass and make a good join.
[/body]
mesh, hey. good idea will use it.
cheers :rambo:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have just completed the fibreglassing for both the skirts. and they sit very snugly on the car. now the sanding can begin, to smooth the slight buldge that the fibre-glass has caused.

i did use the mesh idea for support too. thanks iamabilly.

now to begin sanding.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That's gonna look sick...great idea. I can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yeah I'm excited about this too. I hate the GSi/GT skirts and this is a good way to get something cheap to look good.

I've wondered what other lip kits would be close enough in size and contour to work like this. With there being so much Civic **** out there I might check into something like that to see how close it would be.

Please keep us updated. I think I speak for most on here that this is a really cool project. Leave it to the Aussies to dive into this!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a little time to myself today, (as the missus went shopping) so the sanding began.
it came up not too bad, but defintaly needs more, sanding, and maybe another layer of just fibreglass resin, just to even things out.

i need better sandpaper, i went through four sheets of 80grit. is there a special kind of sandpaper out there for fibreglass? i'm just using an "All Surfaces" kind

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
When I was sanding fiberglass I started with a 40 grit, then 80, then 120, 180, 220 and then 320, came out nice and smooth. Also if you sand down the glass all the way it will crack at the seams so after getting it smooth I would recover a huge area and sand down again but not all the way and blend it in.

[Edited by DREROB on Mar 12, 2006 10:53 AM]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I should have given you a longer answer to make your life eaiser. You had only needed to lay the mesh on the rear of sideskirt layed 5 or 6 layers on the back of the skirt, or enough till it was rigid enough, then for the top side it would have been low, so one layer of fibreglass, which still would have been lower than the level of the skirt, then use filler to smooth it out, thus not even needing to sand any fibreglass. Hope that makes sense, although a bit late.

now you have done it the way you have i would advise putting filler on the skirt about 300mm to each side of the join and try and smooth that into a flush surface then you will only need to sand anf fibreglass that sits too high.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have realised the error of my ways, thankyou iamabilly.
the second skirt i have only fibreglassed the rear, and have used some (bog) body filler in the front and it sands up so smooth and even. i am now going to either keep sanding the first skirt back, or maybe get a very sharp knife or saw, and chop back the layers of fibreglass before using the body filler, to get an even layer. i will see what works best.

everything is better second time around!

sorry no pics yet, (the missus has the digital camera)
pics by weekend guaranteed! just for you 2003GS!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i am excited to see what it looks like. i think it is going to look sweet when its all done. please post more pics as soon as you can.

jennie ;):

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry bout the delay people.
okay this is the second skirt, done correctly for once.
the fibreglassing was done to the back only then left to dry. this is what it looks like.

this is the beaut stuff, Bog. works wonders but oncw mixed goes off quickly.

the bog applied and left to dry

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
then the sanding again, and it came up heaps smooth.
this is the after shot.

the test fit.

now to trim it and sand it all over for a sung fit before the primer goes on.
this hopefuly be done by this weekend.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
looks like some bubbles got into the bondo when being mixed,

i hope everything result's in a smooth Surface and ready to paint,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts