Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was doing some searching and found an Accent with a lip kit. I have tried to get in contact with him, but no answer. Here is the pic:

Does anyone know or have seen where to get something like this? I wasn't sure if it is a
universal or something that would normally go on a Honda civic. Any help would be great. I love this look on a X3 Accent, I have a 98. I think the Accent in the pic is a 97/98.

ThX.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the 2 "side wings" are universal

but i'm not sure about the one with the "step" in the middle

where did you found this pic?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Baube,

It was on UKHAC. Found in in the photoshop section. He was playing around with colors.
I think he may have said the middle was a seperate piece, but I can't remember unless I go back to it. I would like to know where at least the side lips where to get. You think its something to find on Ebay? Or custom make my own? Have you seen where those may have been from? I was thinking maybe something that fits a honda commonly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if im correct im pretty sure the middle section is from a SEAT CUPRA :) and the side parts are from a SEAT CORDOBA.

below are quotes from the UKHAC

i also shelled £16 from a seat dealer for the cupra front lip. i know you guys told me it prob wont fit but i am gonna mod it slightly so it does.

right. i went back and had a re-think. i wasnt to keen on the middle so i pushed it up in the middle to meet the bumper. i personally think it looks alot better. also i managed to get those cordoba splitters on

·
Registered
30 Posts
here's the 2 side parts. they are called splitters

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___Universal-2-Piece-Splitters_W0QQitemZ200294311719QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200294311719&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

there's some universal and others that are made for some cars too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___92-98-E36-3-SERIES-M3-EURO-FRONT-BUMPER-LIP-SPLITTERS_W0QQitemZ190276918454QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item190276918454&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

cheaper but surely can be fitted on your x3

civic lips fit well too. i have a 96 type-r one on my car just needed to trim about 2-3" in the center

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Baube, thanks for the research !!!! How did you come about learning the honda lips may fit? Just wondering if it is trial and error or does someone out there really know what will or not fit on an Accent...lol.

I have saved those items, even if they end I'll have a reference on them. So with your lip, You had to remove 2-3" because it was too wide originally? Did you glass it back together? With putting this lip on did you get sideskirts for it too? I'm trying to keep in mind what I'll need when the time comes. I can't complain about the one item being $25.00 + ship. And the other one seems reasonable. These must be common items to find, so if I don't get them this round I should be able to find them again.

I think they would be sublte enough to add a new look, but won't be to extreme. I pan on doing some body work, kinda making my own body kit, basically some fender flares, unless there are some universal types that will work for the Accent. I'll have to check.

Its kinda dark out now, here, but I'm planningon looking into the back of the cluster for the tach issue. I'm anxious to get the one done...lol. Thanks again mang !!!

P.S. thats a pic of your car right? Looks good witht he lip on there. Thansk for sharing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i know a guy who did this before with a civic lip. there was a gap in each corner if i didn't cut the bumper in the center.

i still have oem side skirts on my car.

there's one of my friens selling astrel side skirts, i'll try to find pics they will probably fit very well with the splitters

vw's fender flares fit nicely on the x3 look for the 2nd gen

there's 2 flares on each fender but it gives an idea

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looking good there. So those are VW flares ay? Nice ! I like the looks of the hood too, kinda like a Subie STi hood. Also is that the original bumper and modified it? Or did you make a completely new one? Your direction is basically what I've been thinking about doing. Great minds think alike.....haha.

I remember you mentinoing your friend make the side skirts. recently in looking for parts, I have heard of Astrel more lately. Isn't there also an Astrel lip or bumper?

With your wheels, did you put spacers in them or did you get them with an offset? I've seen somehwere on youtube, it was on a hyundai, but can't remember if it was a Accent or Elantra. But they knocked out the mounting studs and put in longer ones to accommodate with the spacers. Have you seen anything like that before?

Did you also extend the hood to make eyelids?

·
Registered
30 Posts
the last pic is from a member of the clubaccentquebec.org

he moldel a subaru sti scoop ont he hood and welded some eyelids on it.

the flares are from vw gen2 (golf and jetta not sure about the year of the gen tough)

the wheels on his car aren't spaced. can't remember the model but he have 0 offset on them so they stick out of the car about 2.5"

putting only spacers on hyundai is bad cause we have hubcentric hubs wich means the weight on the car sits on a lip on the bub. if you put only spacers on the hub all the weight of the car will sit on the stud that are not intended for that.

his bumper is one from a civic that he customized to fit his accent. there's a lot of work on this

astrel is making only lips as far as i know... maybe i'm wrong too...

there is the astrel kit he is selling them for 100$can not sure if he's willing to ship tough...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to check opn the flares, but I'm pretty much thinking I'll make my own. So havong wheel at a "0" offset is going to stick out more? I thought "0" was inline with the outside of the body of the car.....but I don't really understand those, i just haven't read up on it enough. There was a pair of rims I was looking at, said they have offset of 40. I'm guessing that wouldn't work for the 98 Accent then. Know any sites that explain the rims number settings?

·
Registered
30 Posts
0 offset means that the center of the rim is inline with the hub

40mm offset means that the center of the rim is 40mm offset toward the shock

a wheel with 40mm offset will fit the x3. now depending on the drop you'll have on your car, the rim witdh, and the tire that will be mounted on it maybe it will rub on the fender

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really haven't thought about lowering the car any. If I do, maybe 1" if needed. But I thought if I get 17" rims, then it should look proportionate. Some think 17" would be too big, but the rims I like don't come in any under. I'll keep my eyes open for something that looks close. But they should fit as a 17" if some of the tire/wheel places online say can fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Baube, so when you cut down the lip to mod it to the car. Did you glass it back
together? Or did you do somthing else to hide the cutline? I've been looking on ebay and have seen some lips that may work. Was the lip pretty flexible to a degree that had any give while putting it on the car? I 'm thinking that whatever I try to get should resemble the same curve lines as the Accent. If the lip its pliable enough, then maybe just about any lip should work within reason. Or would Duraglass work? I've never used that, but looks like amazing stuff.

I have saved some auctions, though some have ended, but keeping them for reference when I do decide to get one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i did not glass back the lip cause i wanted to keep the original finish. i did a straight cut and glued the 2 parts with some reinforcong behind it. i used pl premium adesive. very nice stuff. it can be found in home hardware store. the cut line is still visible at about 5foot of the car...

fot the lip material, mine is in abs. it's flexible enough to follow the curve of the car in my case. it's almost the same plastic than the bumper... polyurethane ones are way more flexible tough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cools, Just keeping in mind what I'll be getting into. But looks straight forward enough. With your lip. How many screws do you have holding it on? Just the amount that came with the lip or did you add more for good measure? The screws mot lips come with look like self-tapping does this sound right?

ThX.

·
Registered
30 Posts
for the lip i just used the 4 screws thas goes inside the fender. no tape os something else. the way the lip is done, it sits on the bumper and stays there securly enough. i did hit a couple snow bank this winter and everything is still there.

i'm currently running a stock beta1 nut i have some missfire issue that i'm looking to fix before adding more power to the engine...

i have a 1.8 intake cam and an underdrive pulley sitting here as well as the rear tiburon disc brake conversion. maybe next year i'll go turbo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of the ebay listings have a front and rear lip. Do you think the rear lips would fit too +/- modding? Or would those be a waste to look at. I guess if it saves some money, why not.

I tried calling some auto wrecking places today. Most will not let you pull it, you tell them what you want, they pull it. Probably to charge more for it. Sucks. I was hoping to look over some hondas and see if any of those had lips, or skirtings and such.

·
Registered
30 Posts
98/99 accent have a rear bumber with 2 height the sides are lower than the rear... maybe on the 95-97 it will be easier to fit a lip but it will still require a lot of work to fit there.

maybe it would be easier to use something like this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts