Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I race a 96 X3 and the last 2 races the power was down above 4500 rpm. the car pulled fine through 4300 then it was very gradual and peaked at 5500. redline is set at 6500. I normall hit 6300 at the end of the longest straight. Any ideas? I took it to a Hyundai dealer for a diagnostic. Everything was in tolerance. Our race season begins in May and I want to have some ideas of possable fixes.
Any ideas are welcome.
thx

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Like he said , a tuneup. Even try some seafoam, I found that to be great stuff.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Any more details?

Power loss that high up is usually a spark issue, but it could be a myriad of issues. I suggest getting to a dyno and doing some runs - monitor fuel pressure and a/f ratio and see what happens.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine does that every 8-10 months ... I either clean or replace the sparks and it goes away for another 8-10 months.
Fresh Air/oil/fuel filters helps too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additional details; the power loss is gradual. it starts off feeling fine for 1 lap then it the gets worse each lap till it bottoms out around 5500 rpm. reports from the pit wall when I drive buy are it sounds like it's on 3 cylinders.However the plugs are fine and the coil packs are new.during the last race sunday the same problem was in all 3 races. the warm up lap felt fine then it would deterioate for the rest of the race. lap times @ 1.27( normal lap times are 1.23). the fourth race however was back to normal the first 10 laps wre 1.23's then the power went down for the last 5 laps. We had unplugged the fan because it was hardwired.cleaned the plugs and air flow sensor. can't figure out whats happening.
The Dyno idea is great.
I am signing up.
any other thoughts
thx

·
Registered
427 Posts
do you have a separate temp guage? or just the dash guage ... is it running hotter during your problems?
it's possible you're losing compression as the engine heats up ... does it run fine during the cool down lap? or when you get it back to the paddock?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Platinum6316,
I am installing a separate gauge for this season.
The cool down lap was too slow to test it.
I'm bringing a spare thermostat, tps, and air flow sensor to the test and tune. hopefully that will work.
thanks for your advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts