Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 100% sure this tib was bone stock. Newish body style (not the newest facelift but the one before it). I really can’t say if it was a stick or auto. It didn’t have that delayed jump thing autos tend to do when he took off so I want to say some form of standard, but after that outcome I would think auto. Anyway, I came up from behind him so I saw the emblem claiming its v6ness. I get past him on the highway and notice he starts pacing me. After doing this for some time we crest a hill. In front of us about a mile or more of open highway.

As we went over the hill I was slightly overtaking him. His nose was right behind my front wheel. He punches it and that jump puts us nose to nose. I know I am running out of time for 3rd (started this doing 80ish) so I just drop to 4th. At first I thought this was a huge mistake because for a second or so we where dead even. I was thinking maybe I should have gone to 3rd for those 10mph before I run out of it. I was expecting him to start pulling at any moment, but what’s this?!? The elantra starts to pull… and the higher my tach climbs the quicker the pull becomes. I tap on the brakes and let the engine bring me down once I can tell I have the entire car + in front of him. After I let up he flies past me and keeps hauling ass. Guess he wasn’t happy about loosing the family version of his car with a smaller motor.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The Tib V6 is a bit slow. I flew by one once in my bone stock Elantra.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
nice kill..ironically a hyundai at that..

damn, i can only imagine how faster the beta accent would be.

i guess those lightweight OZ wheels helped out a bit eh?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I can tell you for sure it was either the auto or a 2.0l badged as a V6 (seen that before), or someone just floored it in top gear and didn't downshift.

My Accent is neck and neck with an auto V6. It gets it's ass handed to it by a manual V6. My wife's 6 speed V6 dynoed 161hp and 169lb/ft bone stock at the wheels vs. the highest powered modified manual Beta that day which had 130whp, don't remember the tq.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what a tib can do. My best friend owned two of them at one time. A 5spd and a 6spd. If it was an auto it got a nice clean downshift (very possible), that or a 6spd that only went to 5th? I drove the 6spd more than a few times, but dont remember how its top two gears where spaced. I know the 5spds gearset is very close to an elantras and the 6 would have pulled in a 4th v 4th gear race. Not to mention with the way it jumped the driver or that auto dropped a gear.

If it was a rebadged four that would be why I started to walk away and tells me my mods did something :D If it was a 4 it was a 5spd. Auto would have been a joke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts