Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this saturday I am finally getting my new engine installed!! Its still gonna be the 2.0L DOHC but Im just really excited to be gettin a engine with fewer miles finally!! Its gonna cost $1500 to install it ($750 up front, $750 when its done) and it should only take the weekend so I can drive to work next week!!

My one concern is I know with engines if they are absolutely brand new or rebuilt you should take it easy on them to break em in but the one Im getting has bout 70000miles on it! Do I still need to break it in? and for how long (mileage wise)?:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It's already broke in, but I would take it a little easy the first couple of days since it's been sitting not running for a while.

·
Registered
56 Posts
that's acually a high price. it should break around $900-$1,000. I got my automatic converted from Auto>5-speed, 120,000 on the old tranny, under 10,000 on the new tranny. $1,500 parts and labor.

The easiest thing in the world for a mechanic is putting in a new engine. All you need is a lift, then you plug some wires in and torque some bolts.

either way, congrats!! the car will run so much better. pretty soon you'll need a new paint job like me! my car has 130,000 on it, my best friend's 1998 tiburon has 200,000 on it with the SAME engine! thing drives like new too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats so funny you mentioned a new paint job cuz Im actually planning on getting it painted when I get my tax return!!:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should make sure they put in ALL new belts and waterpump. Also, if time allows, with the motor out everything would be a LOT easier to clean/possibly paint if its a little rusty. I'd also recommend changing out any hard to get to gaskets as well. Saves a headache later and is an excellent piece of mind.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe all my belts are still pretty much new, I replaced them a couple months ago! Not sure bout the water pump, Ill bring it up when I drop my car off and the possibly cleaning it up a bit!! Im just sooo excited!!!:D :D :D If you couldnt tell!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Engine swaps are very exciting. I did one with my old Excel I used to have. It was only supposed to be a weekend project, but my car was a standard 4 speed transmission, and the donor motor was from an auto. The scrap yard guy said it would be fine, but NOPE. After a month (did all gaskets/belts/water pump and very good cleaning) it would NOT fit back in the car.

Turns out that the auto flywheel had some extra little spacer on it that I had to machine out...and then it fit like a glove and it was one of the happiest/proudest moments of my life (and I think I was about 17 at the time...)

Are you saying you already put belts and such on the "new" motor?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I have new belts on the engine I have now!! Your lil story worries me!!! I hope I dont end up with the wrong motor!!!:( But Wilbur is coming actually goin to pick up the engine for me, its an Elantra motor thats the same year and its also a 2.0L and it should be for the manual FX model but Ill make sure he double checks, Im gonna be crashing at his place this weekend till I get my car back! Hes picking up the engine on Friday after he gets outta school than I think Im spending the nite down there and hes goin with me to drop my car and the new engine off early Saturday morning!!:D :D

And I was reassured that it would only take the weekend to do it so Ill get my car back Sunday sometime!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sweet! You'll probably be fine. But, you might as well at least ask them to swap the belts over, and like I said do the waterpump too (if its timing-belt driving on yours). Better to get it done now even if its not broken because its a pain in the ass later!

·
Registered
56 Posts
^yeep!! you should have seen, i hadn't had my car for 4 months. when i first bought the car it was automatic, and i drove it for 5 years daily. it was the most beautiful day (not in my life hehe, but since the most beautiful day of my life) when my mom came in to wake me up, "your 5 speed tiburon is ready".

so yeah i know how you feel. my tiburon looked just like yours! same color too. it's a little bit more juicy now.

in 2 months i'll be getting a new paint. i can't wait to see yours. i'm from rdtiburon.com. post up some photos!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jkrswld said:
Sweet! You'll probably be fine. But, you might as well at least ask them to swap the belts over, and like I said do the waterpump too (if its timing-belt driving on yours). Better to get it done now even if its not broken because its a pain in the ass later!

Ill be sure to bring that up to them, Ill probably have them replace the timing belt cuz that mite be the only one I havent replaced just cuz its sooo hard to get to!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HyundaiKitCoupe said:
^yeep!! you should have seen, i hadn't had my car for 4 months. when i first bought the car it was automatic, and i drove it for 5 years daily. it was the most beautiful day (not in my life hehe, but since the most beautiful day of my life) when my mom came in to wake me up, "your 5 speed tiburon is ready".

so yeah i know how you feel. my tiburon looked just like yours! same color too. it's a little bit more juicy now.

in 2 months i'll be getting a new paint. i can't wait to see yours. i'm from rdtiburon.com. post up some photos!

Mines a manual and I love it! So Im getting the engine this weekend than Im getting a paint job and the body work done (thru out the year) but mainly next year when I get my tax return and in the mean time Ill probably be getting a cai, header and performance clutch and maybe some performance brakes!!! I am so excited...I have always wanted to do this stuff on my past cars but I have never had the money so to be able to actually do this now is great!!

I obviously wanna make my car perform better but Im also doin alot of show stuff I have always wanted to show my car from the moment I got it three years ago!! So later down the road Im also gonna get sub, amp and whatnot!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It's too bad you didn't buy the clutch already. It wouldn't have cost any more to have it put in while you're getting your engine swapped. Oh well.

We can do your clutch in my garage whenever you buy it though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alrite...sounds good, Ill keep that in mind! Nicks got a short throw shifter for me he just has to make a nut and bolt or go get them I believe, but I probably do need a new clutch my third and fifth gears grind every once in awhile if I dont put it in just right and my reverse hates me most of the time I have to fight with it to put it in reverse!! LOL!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
That's probably not the clutch. We need to drain out your tranny and install MT-90 fluid first of all. Probably next time you're down. We're doing it to Hon's Accent this weekend.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
97redtib said:
Alrite...sounds good, Ill keep that in mind! Nicks got a short throw shifter for me he just has to make a nut....:D
my lips are sealed. That said, I may wanna come down and hang with you cool kids Fri. night. Then I can heckle Wilbur summore.:D :cool:

So can I spent the night at the new house? I'll bring my own blankie even.:eek: :p ;)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Sure, you're welcome to come stay. I don't know if Wilbur and/or Krystal are planning on coming down, but if they want they're welcome also.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont know if we will make it!! But we can always try. He needs to get a new air mattress, his really is starting to suck!! LOL!!:D

So if its not the clutch what could be causing it to do that??

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh ok and that would cause gears to grind like that? It doesnt happen all the time and most of the time its only when Im trying to shift in a hurry or something like that and Im not babying it into the gear!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts