Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just about to do a tranny swap, just put on k-sports, christmas morning, taking a 45* turn at about 40-45mph[edit: this is not an uncommon speed for me to take turns like that with the k-sports with toyo T-1Rs; someone slashed two of them and I had to get kelly superstars as a quick replacement], and my back end starts to slide out (dirt on road from construction, stupid kelly superstars contributed), after turning a full 180*, my front bumper scraped and rubed the gaurd rail, thinking I had only dented my bumper, I continued to turn around and drive to my parents house. After I got out of the car I noticed something odd, the only thing straight on the front end of the car was the hood, everything in front of the doors is tweaked 11/16ths clockwise :)..... yay!

funny part is, I couldnt have been going faster than 15mph at the point of contact, I skid for about 25-35ft before I made contact. but the contact point was esactly where the bumper welds to the (frame/subframe?).

this will be fun to bend back...

I have only one question relevant to my plans for this, has anyone heard of tube framing an lc2? or doing any strucrural reinforcement for racing or more particualrly rally?

[Edited by zeroindigo on Dec 29, 2005 12:05 AM]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
couple pics of aftermath:
11/16ths cross measurement creates this hood gap on the passenger side:

full frontal exposure :dead:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Oh no! That sucks!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
DUDE, I did EXACTLY THAT about 3 months ago. Took a freeway on-ramp too quick with a light dusting of sand(roadworks for new train-line) and it had rained lightly about half an hour before. I had cheap tyres on the back and the arse end slid out. The SAME corner of my car as yours hit the railing(last 2 feet of it!) after a sideways slide of about 60 feet and scraped the bumper(like yours) and smashed the light and bent the 1/4 panel inwards.
Damage bill(to the insurance co!) of around $1700 and 1 week off the road!

Trust me when I say this, I know EXACTLY how you feel!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did something close also. I was on a mountain road(dirt road) a coule days after it snowed hit a patch of ice going about 15mph slid about 20ft right into the side of the mountain! broke my camber (just got them replaced with adjustables) ripped my bumper of the right side in two, took out a rim and tire. and broke my new fog lights:dead: oh yeah my windshield wiper fluid resivor.....also need new toe hooks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ouch that sucks man. :dead:

I'm keepin' mine under wraps in the garage more often from now on. X) j/k...I think....lol....

Harm

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
or put some 195/50/r15 tire's and ...wait...you didn't mash the brake's when entering the corner did you?

when you enter a corner fast and slam or press the brake pedal, the weight is shifted to the front do the rear tire's have no weight, hence no traction which could've triggered the '"DRIFT"

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The warning is not necessary, unless the curse of the blue LC becomes the curse of the silver LC2 for 2006. :puzzled: Glad you're alright, cars are a lot easier to fix than people.

[Edited by skierd on Dec 29, 2005 7:15 PM]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no TAK82, did not touch the brakes till mid spin, I know how to drive... thanks for all the concern, cars are much easier to fix than people, well, on one hand that's true, on the other, cars arent built to repair themselves :cry:... but I appreciate the sentement ;):

·
Registered
386 Posts
Please dont bring back my sad memories.......

·
Registered
978 Posts
me next me next, j/k. Same thing happened to me in my vw, but it was the tires and the driver (me). had crappy general XP2000's on the back because my bf hr4's were way way to bald. It was just for a trip from northeast arizona to san diego. Lost traction because the driver trusted the car way to much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts