Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I posted a while ago all my problems, and people told me to replace my coil pack, and I just did and the CEL is off, and Im pretty happy about that.

BUT it still runs like a chopper (low idle, shakes alot) and it knocks a bit.

Ive let it Idle for a while, its not helping.

Please let me know any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok CEL is back on, I'm pissed-bloody waste of $80.
and I think my cat converter is smoking, clogged maybe?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope, im thinkin the smoke was from some spilled oil, I was gonna use it as an excuse to get a new exhaust...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't quote me on this, or if anybody knows what I'm talking about feel free to help me.

Maybe adjusting your IAC (Idle Air Controller) to idle at a higher RPM may fix your idling problem. Also, if you can, take your cat off and move it around and see if you can hear anything moving inside, if so, you should probably replace that. Did you get the code it was throwing?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, complete story:
Replaced coilpack, hooked the battery back up, start it, drive it around the block, no CEL, idles really low(like I mentioned before), but I'm still happy the cel is off.

I let it idle for a half hour, check up on it every now and then, come back and out of my center console, where I Don't have a boot covering up my shifter, there is light smoke rising up.
I freak out, look underneath and its doing sorta the same thing around the cat.

apparently it got so hot it melted a little plastic box I had in there.

I was late to work so I hopped in and drove it anyway, got off work, took it to a car wash, and when I got back in, it was idling like it used to and my CEL was back on.

If it was the cat, wouldn't I be loosing power?

And my exhaust looks rusted together, I'm afraid if I take it off, it wont go back on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any threads on adjusting the IAC?
Ive herd of that before but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best way to find out what`s happening is to go to workshop and read out DTCs using scanner it will help to find out what is happening with your car. Else you can spent a lot of time and money replacing parts without any idea.There are a lot of reasons of such behavior, i.e. fuel injectors, plug wires, sparkplugs, unmettered air, fuel pressure, dead cat and so on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts