Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Blown head gasket rebuild....

So today, I went for a drive with my family. I got to where I was going, and my car starts acting funnie. I thought it was my IAC valve being stupid. So I paid no attention to it, I stop off at a Schucks . Because my car kept over heating. So im like dam, no what? When I stop and pop my hood, I noticed that my hood was wet. Im like wtf is that. It looked liked water, I noticed that my radatior resvoir was over flowing. So I thought it was that.
My car keeps over heating an my oil psi goes down. So I stop at schucks again and pick up a quart of oil. (just did a oil change yesterday). And that really didn’t help. I am about 100mi away from home now.
I make it back home and I investage whats going on. I pop of the valve cover and intake. The intake has more oil in it than usual. I dain my oil, while im doing that I decide to stick my finger in the oil in the valve cover. The oil is full of water. Im like Fuc& me, I BLEW my head gasket.

What else could go wrong. I am so close to finishing my turbo and my car keeps blowing **** up. So their goes about 200 bucks right their..
Good thing I didn’t go to Whilby island with the rest of the guys today..
Im just glad I made it 300 miles with a blown head gasket:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Man that sucks. I would mill the head and replace the rings at least.
Years ago I had a tempo with a cracked head (all the way across) I drove all summer like that. I always carried a supply of water to fill it up after driving it. Water would pour out of the exhaust the whole time it ran. I also drove 35 miles to & from work 5 times a week. Talk about crop dusting. Smoke rolled out like it was on fire. Good luck on your repair

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think im going to get it milled then. I dont think im going to do the rings yet. I was waiting to do the rings next summer. Thats when im going to drop in the scoupe turbo pistons and rings...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sucks. If you need a hand with anything let me know. I can probably head down your way and assist.
Thanks for the offer, will keep in mind if i run into somethin. But if i go beta i may need a hand. I still have to check to see if i cracked my head, and see if its warped or not.
But if i rebuild the 1.5, i might as well have the head rebuilt and try to do some PnP work on the head.:)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Thanks for the offer, will keep in mind if i run into somethin. But if i go beta i may need a hand. I still have to check to see if i cracked my head, and see if its warped or not.
But if i rebuild the 1.5, i might as well have the head rebuilt and try to do some PnP work on the head.:)
Let me know what happens. Ive been wanting to do work to my heads but never found anything worth the price to do it ya know?

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you are going to do PandP urself be very careful be very light with the dremel aim to smooth the ports and increase smoothness around the valve stem and smooth off the internal radii just after the valve a home done pandp can end up worse then the stock job....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i get the head resurfaced any time it overheats and have to replace the head gasket, but look closely at the walls for cracks.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked up a valve spring compressor today. Removed the valve. I still have to take it to the machine shop. I tried to get it as clean as i could. Here are a couple of pix of it removed..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts